What is the challenge?
Our Budget Challenge has now closed.
How does it work?
When you’re ready to create your budget click on the ’Create your Budget’ button, then:
- From the left-hand column, choose a category, e.g. Income, Social Care, Rubbish and Recycling. You can find more information on each category, by clicking the information icon to the left of the name.
- Using the slider, you can choose how much you want to decrease or increase spend on each category. The consequences of your decisions are shown on the right-hand side of the page, and the change this makes to your budget shows at the top. The consequences do not necessarily reflect exactly what would happen, but are included to provide you with examples of what we have to consider when setting our budget each year.
- When you’ve balanced your budget, the top of the page will turn green and say “You have balanced the budget”.
- Once you’re happy that you’ve made the right choices, click ‘Review and Finish’. You’ll then be able to leave a comment and double-check your choices before submitting your final budget. If at this stage you want to amend your choices, use the ‘Change Budget’ button to try again.
- Once you’ve submitted your budget, there are some optional questions about you. These show us whether people with differing experiences and viewpoints have taken the challenge, but it’s up to you whether you answer them or not.